Thursday, June 1, 2017

Talking as Fast as I Can

When I was in high school, I spent my summers working with my aunt and uncle who owned a little shop. I stayed with them in their city a long way away from home. And it was fun and formative, and I got to know my relatives very well. They also introduced me to this little show called Gilmore Girls. I had never heard of it, never seen it. But I was instantly intrigued by the banter and the cheerfulness and the drama. I have since watched Gilmore Girls many, many times, binge-watched my way through the reboot, and have started watching Parenthood. So when a copy of Lauren Graham's memoir showed up at my desk courtesy of Young to Publishing, I was delighted. I have never been one for memoir, but after reading Yes Please, I thought it was worth a try. And I'm so glad I did. I won't include a description because you can guess what it's about.

30253864
Retrieved from Goodreads
If you love Lauren Graham and want to hear more about her life, I definitely recommend listening to the audiobook of Talking as Fast as I Can. Graham narrates it herself and it's an experience that's not to be missed. She talks about her childhood, and how she got into acting. She reflects on the recent trend of using our hands to make a heart shape. She talks about dating and Gilmore Girls and Parenthood. It's everything you could ask for if you're a fan of her work. I wouldn't say there is anything really revelatory about this slim volume. It's entertaining to read about her experience watching Gilmore Girls so many years later and lamenting the hairstyles she went through. I teared up hearing about how emotional it was to film the reboot, and awwwed at the story of how she met and began dating her partner Peter Krause. This is a fun, quick read that will make you laugh and maybe (if you're a a hardcore Gilmore Girls fan like I am) make you tear up when Lauren can't find her jacket. Yes, I know that's a weird thing to tear up at but, trust me, it'll get you too.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: The Last Star by Rick Yancey

No comments:

Post a Comment