Saturday, June 10, 2017

Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand has been sitting on my Kindle for many years. I bought it at a discount, and thought that maybe  I'd crack it open when I was in the mood for yet another paranormal romance. Even though there were thousands of positive reviews of it, even though it seemed like it would be a quick read, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I was burned out on paranormal romance (much like I am now burned out on dystopian). But when I was putting together this year's summer reading project, I really wanted to read those books which have been sitting on my shelves for a long time. So here we go!

11200068
Retrieved from Goodreads
Clara Gardner is part angel, and that means she has a purpose in life. She just doesn't know what it is. All she knows is that one day soon there will be a boy standing in the woods as a forest fire bears down on them. So her family packs up their life and moves to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, where she meets Christian, the boy from her vision. She is instantly drawn to him, but he has a girlfriend and doesn't seem to want to get closer to her. Clara is determined to save his life. In the process she makes friends, learns more about her angel heritage, and discovers that destiny isn't as easy as she thought.

I am honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. It is very readable, with each sentence flowing into the next one with few clunky bits. I enjoyed the presence of angels as the only paranormal entity in the world, with a fleshed out mythology that clearly has room to grow. To be honest, the first half of the book moves very slowly, setting up its cast and moving everyone into position. But the writing is strong enough to support the slow movement, and the last quarter of the book moves very quickly, revealing its twists in rapid fire. And, honestly, I only guessed half of them. I won't reveal more about what happens, because that would ruin the plot, but when I turned the last page I actually said out loud: "Wait, but what happens next?" So, suffice it to say, I will definitely be picking up the next book in the series, Hallowed.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson

1 comment:

  1. If you have a minute, I’d really appreciate it if you took a look at Emily’s Virtual Rocket. This is a serious newsblog which has been taken from e-newspapers and e-magazines from around the world, with an emphasis on transgender issues. Also, with his election, I look for articles which critique Donald Trump.

    I hope you enjoy this. Please paste the following:

    emilysvirtualrocket.blogspot.com

    If you like it, please consider putting it among your favorite blogs. I would greatly appreciate it.

    Sincerely,

    Emily

    ReplyDelete